What is greatness? Do we wear it like lapel pins on our collars and parade it around for all to recognize? or is it something the inner soul recognizes and cannot help but respond in awe and reverence?
The 1828 Noah Webster Dictionary gives us this definition of greatness:
GREATNESS, n. Largeness of bulk, dimensions, number or quantity; as the greatness of a mountain, of an edifice, of a multitude, or of a sum of money. With reference to solid bodies, however, we more generally use bulk, size, extent or magnitude than greatness; as the bulk or size of the body; the extent of the ocean; the magnitude of the sun or of the earth.
1. Large amount; extent; as the greatness of a reward.
2. High degree; as the greatness of virtue or vice.
3. High rank or place; elevation; dignity; distinction; eminence; power; command.
4. Swelling pride; affected state.
5. Magnanimity; elevation of sentiment; nobleness; as greatness of mind. ex.Virtue is the only solid basis of greatness.
6. Strength or extent of intellectual faculties; as the greatness of genius.
7. Large extent or variety; as the greatness of a man’s acquisitions.
8. Grandeur; pomp; magnificence. ex. Greatness with Timon dwells in such a draught, As brings all Brobdignag before your thought.
9. Force; intensity; as the greatness of sound, of passion, heat, &c.
A great singer, a great song, a truly Great God… watch and enjoy: